Founded Date January 1, 1900
Sectors Government , Management Job , Teaching Job
Posted Jobs 2
Founded Since 1850
Allama Iqbal Open University was established in May 1974 under Act No. XXXIX passed by the Parliament of Pakistan. It was initially named as the People’s Open University, renamed Allama Iqbal Open University in 1977 on the eve of the first centenary celebrations of the national poet and philosopher, Allama Muhammad Iqbal. The idea of an “open university” was presented with the formulation of broad principles in the education policy of 1972-80, in these words:
“Open Universities are used in several countries to provide education and training to people who cannot leave their homes and jobs to study full-time. An open university will therefore be established to provide part-time educational facilities through correspondence courses, tutorials, seminars, workshops, laboratories, television and radio broadcasts and other mass communication media….”
The main objectives of the university as expressed in the law are as follows:
- To provide educational facilities to people who are unable to leave their homes and jobs in a manner it determines.
- To provide such facilities to the masses for their educational upliftment as it may determine.
- Provide facilities for the training of teachers in a manner to be determined by it.
- To provide education in those branches of learning technology or vocations it deems necessary, and to make provision for research and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in such manner as it may determine.
- To take examinations and award and confer degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic